Usually for me it’s a bit hard to stop a conflict when I’m
taking a part in it. After reading about “Stopping: Taking Time Out”, I realized
I probably could have used these steps to help hinder my past conflicts from escalating
to the point they got to. Especially with step number one. Step number one says
to: Exit temporarily to calm yourself, and let the other party know you are not
abandoning the situation and you will return. I feel this step would be helpful
to use because in many of the conflicts I have taken a part in, most of the
things being said are said out of anger or defense, and most likely not thought
through before it came out my mouth. Lastly, when it comes to the way I handle
a “time out”, there aren’t many ways. The one method I use that sticks out to
me is yelling until I basically tune the person out or simply ignore them. Not
the best method, but it seem to be the one I resort to the most.
I agree with you that by “ Stopping: Taking Time Out” we can better deal with issues involving conflict. When we remove ourselves from stressful situations and take some time out to relax and gather our thoughts the outcome will most often times be more beneficial for both parties involved. When we take the time to exit temporarily and regain our composure it allows for us to make for practical decisions. I can admit that sometimes I get caught up in the moment and don’t make the best decisions when conflicts arise. What this chapter taught me was in order to diffuse situations involving conflict stopping and taking the time to analyze the conflict is a key step in dealing with conflict.
ReplyDelete, Mark
I think it's safe to say that you've identified your problem used during conflict which is great! Now it’s time to learn from your past experiences and change from there. I used to have the same attitude towards conflict until someone brought it to my attention. Yelling may seem like the best method at the time because it feels good to just get everything out but unfortunately gets you nowhere. Sometimes we don't know we're doing something wrong unless someone tells us. On the bright side, life is all about learning experiences and we have endless chances to change our bad habits!
ReplyDelete