Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Chapter 11: Mediation


A mediator is defined as a third party who has no decision-making power regarding the outcome of the mediation. I feel those who major in communication should make good mediators because from what they have learned, I believe they can keep an open mind, encourage cooperation rather than competition, and should have learned that during mediating you must be unbiased. Also, as said in the book, lawyers usually approach mediation the same way as litigation. Furthermore, I feel with lawyers and psychotherapist, they must choose a side either because they are defending someone or seeking truth (lawyers), and are trying to increase an individual’s sense of his or her own well-being (psychotherapist). For reasons like this I feel a lawyer and a psychotherapist would find it hard to play the role of a mediator. Lastly when it comes to lawyers and taking a dispute to court, the disputing parties are more likely to cooperate because they have more of a say in the outcome of the dispute being mediated. 

No comments:

Post a Comment