Thursday, February 16, 2012
Chapter 11: Fractionation, Framing, Reframing, & Common Ground
Fractionation, framing, reframing, and common ground are techniques one may use form solving problems that do not involve interpersonal conflicts. As a mediator I can use these tools when there is a conflict between two parties. The first of these techniques is called fractionation. Fractionation is the process in which the mediator breaks down a bigger or more “complex” issue(s) into smaller, more manageable ones. I would be able to use this technique most likely in a dorm setting between two roommates. The next technique is framing; in which I would ask neutral or friendly questions that avoid blame or passing judgment and summarize the issues. I could use this technique when it comes to group activities, such as sports or projects. The third technique is reframing. Reframing is when the mediator restates the negative, biased, or accusatory statements made by one of the parties in more of a neutral terminology. Or restates positions in a way where the two parties look at the issue(s) differently. I feel people could use this technique in like a recovery clinic (alcohol/drug abuse). Many people in those clinics or interventions blame others or outside forces for their negative problems. But this reframing technique could help them look at issues diffidently. Lastly, common ground is the last technique. Common ground is when the mediator highlights attitudes, values, behaviors, expectations, and goals the parties shared and can serve as the basis for an agreement. I feel this technique is probably the most valuable and can be used for any type of conflict. Because I feel once people can see how similar they are to one another, in the ways the mediator highlights, they can come to a resolution much quicker and with less conflicting views.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment