Sunday, March 11, 2012

Unbalanced Power


I never had to think about how I felt being in a relationship where someone has more or less power. But after reading this chapter, I must say I have been both the one with and without the power, and the feelings you get from both of them are totally different. 
A situation where I’m mostly the one with less power, my relationship with my mom sticks out. You see my mom, no matter how old I get, is still my mom. So most of the time what she says goes. Sometimes when there is a conflict or disagreement between the two of us, confronting her about it or talking to her about it is challenging. Because both she and I know no matter what, her way is the way I will follow most of the time. In a sense you feel, helpless because you know what the other person says goes in situations like this. Feeling more powerful, generally gives me a feeling that I think most like. The feeling of knowing you have influence over how a situation plays out. Being the one with the power, I see now, can be both bad and good. Good in the sense that what you say is kind of what goes. Also if you know what's best, you have the power to influence the other party your way is the best way. But bad because, sometimes it ends up just you looking like a bully. I feel there is a correct balance between having too much or too little power, and if you figure out the medium between the two your can have a healthy relationship with another person regardless of the circumstances.

No comments:

Post a Comment